Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pen Pal Project

Students at The New York Institute for Special Education have begun corresponding with students at both the California School for the Blind in Fremont and the Montana School for the Blind in Great Falls. This Pen Pal Project will provide opportunities for learning more about school life in other states -- to discover what other students do during their free time, their likes and dislikes, and to appreciate our similarities and differences.

After receiving some information on their pen pals, NYISE students recently wrote group letters to these schools (see below their burgeoning correspondence).

Letters from Great Falls, MT:

I would like my pen pals to write me in grade 1 Braille or 36 large print. I like my work at my job. I clean the Mustang Center 2 days a week. I help out at the basketball games, too. I listen to ABBA on the computer. I listen to Eminem also.
Sean

Hi I am Parker. I can read Braille and large print my print size is 36 . my hobys are playing video games , drawing, watching tv, riding horses, playing with my dog. I like to cook, cleaning, working from sun up to sun down I love to play with dirt I love my family my favorite animal is the American mustang . I like country music and I am a real cowboy.

My name is Alyson. I need to read in 36 font.
I like BatMan The Brave and the Bold, Mad Funny , and Cartoon Network. My brother Estin and I play make up games I am BatMan and
Sonic. I go sledding and play with the dogs.

Letter from the New York Institute For Special Education:
Dear Friends,

We are from the New York Institute for Special Education in the Bronx, which is part of New York City. Our names are Jennifer, Mia, Samira, Sarai, Michael, Nicholas, Kelsey, Chelsie, Danielle, Angela, Jose, and Jonathan.

The city is really noisy and busy. There is always something going on in New York. Time Square is the busiest place in the city. There are lots of stores and big signs. We have a lot of musicals.

We have a lot of tall buildings such as the Empire State.
What is it like in Montana? What is it like to go to school there?
How’s the weather? Do you get big snowstorms like we did here over Christmas?

How much free time do you get at school? How long is your lunch period?
Do you have a swimming and wrestling team? Do you know Goal Ball? This is a type of sport: two teams face each other on a court. The aim of the game is to roll a basketball-size ball with bells inside over the opponent's goal line. Your opponents listen for the oncoming ball and attempt to block it with their bodies.

Do you have to wear uniforms at school? At our school, we can wear jeans and hoodies. Right now, the fashion is to wear skinny jeans and converse boots.

We love playing video games.

I hope we can talk on skype soon. Next time, we will write a letter to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment